Thursday 16 January 2014

Time to Get With the Programme

Are you like me? Thinking to oneself, "hummm I have never really done that, probably can't, so I won't really bother to try, though I really REally REALLLY want to"?? Stooopid stooopid brain of mine. It doesn't help that I spend ages "ooooing" and "awwwing" over other peoples work, and wishing I had their talents. SO After not having the computer on for nearly 3 weeks, I came back a little determined and refreshed. THEN there was this ....


I was innocently scrolling down through the newsfeed one day last week, when I saw a blog post by the Original (& bestest) Paper Panda, which you can read here. It was all about copywrite! It is dreaded by one and all, but at the same time, HIGHLY misunderstood, concept NOT grasped and all that. But an interesting thing she said that struck home with me, was how once she started using and selling her own designs, that is when her business took off. When you think about it, isn't that really what people want? A piece of you? your style? your creativity? (I flatter myself!! ha ha, sounds good tho!) .... RIGHT get out the pencil ....

First challenge ... My KID draws better than me. I wanted to make a present for a Bestest Friend that I have, who likes rabbits (just like a kid, rabbits and jelly babies!!! sheeesh) So First mission was to draw a rabbit, one that didn't look like a dog, or look like it was in pain, or one that didn't have breasts strangely enough ( I told you I was rubbish!!)  .... This was the result:


I made it into Wolverine  ha ha



So then I was about bringing this into fabric form: again something I shank back from. I guess I was scared that it would be so cute it would kill me or something, who knows the workings of the bwain. (Great, now I've got Barry Kripke stuck in my head!) Fortunately I was meeting her in the next day or so, so I kinda had to just suck it up and get on with it .... So, One Rabbit Book Cover later, and it looked like this!!

Squishy Bunny I

It was sort of the first time I used free hand machine embroidery as well. The pieces of felt being a bit small and fiddly it was really the only way. That was something else I just had to "embrace". But then I got the fabric paints out to add in the details .... I think they worked quite nicely ....

a buzzie bee for good measure


The final book cover
Now to do it all over again, before my resolution fails me and I have to start from the beginning! *insert thrilling episode ending music:  "DEN DED DEN DEN"

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha! You make me laugh Crazeeee Laydeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw soooooo tute!! But how'd you know I like Bunny Rabbits and Jelly Babies......not in the same mouthful mind!! Heh heh Loving this book cover, you are a talented lady and I want a piece of you!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, lickle wabbit! Me wuvs it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And you really can do anything you put your mind to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I can see a great mother daughter partnership forming here! Get her to draw as many cute things as you can and save them all to your computer so that if her drawing style changes you'll still have all her cute children's drawings for future use :)

    ReplyDelete