Friday 10 January 2014

Adventures in Sewing

During the Two weeks off from the general madness, I decided NOT to turn on the computer and I still have an antiquated phone from the past, I couldn't even cheat and have a sneak peek at what was going on in the world of FaceBook and all the other Fairytale web lands!! It was SO refreshing. After watching nearly all "The Big Bang Theory" episodes available I made some book covers using styles and techniques I hadn't really done before and would like to try on a larger scale, but I was able to try out some of the ideas in my head in a reasonably quick time period! 




This was one of the first  book covers I made up, using some of these little crochet doilies that I had bought. They had been dyed really gorgeous colours! AND I discovered they make GREAT patches for disguising tears in your favourite clothing!!!







I have to say that One of my favourite combinations is the red polka dot on the blue canvas ... I have made a few things in this colourway, and I've just bought a big wad of the blue! So look out for more soon!! 
                                                         

THIS is one of the ones that I REALLLLLY enjoyed working on, like really reallllly enjoyed. I grew up working with cross stitch, working on linens etc, but never tried embroidery. It is a whole different ball game, with working out your own colours, shadings, styles of stitches. SO MUCH could go wrong! And yeah, things did go wrong, stitches did get confused, tangled and generally messed up. But I loved it! I tried a variety of stitches, as that is supposed to add depth and character, I also tried to do shading, especially on the tree and the grass. SO now I've to pick out another and get that going, it is so relaxing, it is great to have something a bit different for a change.



SO there we go, it is Friday, its Raining AND nearly lunchtime ... So I'm hungry .... I REALLLLY want to try out making a skirt, so if I get warm enough to venture to where the sewing machine is, something might happen!!  BAZINGA!!


7 comments:

  1. I love you and your blogs already. So pleased to be following your latest adventure. And the book covers... well, they're gorgeous and my favourite blue/red heart combo made an appearance ♥ didn't realise you're a TBBT fan too!!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha it is the best! So much to talk about over coffee sometime! (just a ginger tea for you!! ;) )

      Delete
  2. Nadine, you are made to blog...made me giggle!!! Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *big grinny face* thanks Sarah! that is a lovely thing to say ... lets see what happens eh! you might want to revise that hee hee

      Delete
  3. Oh that embroidery is lovely! And a great idea for patching clothes too - I'll be giving that a go for sure! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo I'll have to get photos of the skirt that I used them on. It was a FAVE skirt and I got a massive 4" "L" shaped rip in the side and I was gutted!!!!! and these just popped into my head! I think I had just gotten them and was dying to use them!!!

      Delete
  4. welcome to blog land :o) Looking forward to following along. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete