Thursday 30 January 2014

Keeping the Plates Spinning

There is no two ways about it. Working from home requires determination and organisation. Both of which, I have to admit, are at their highest in me when the bills are coming in! Which then, just causes CRAZY chaos around the place, because your working longer and ignoring everything else. Which I suppose is not so much Organisation, as Determination to pay the bills!!!!  After having nearly a month off "Business Work", it gave me time to figure out how to get things sorted out for everyone's benefit!!



Have you seen someone spinning plates recently? Erich Brenn spun plates on the Ed Sullivan show, which you can watch here. Such a great party trick, not too keen to try it tho with MY teacups and saucers!!! So really I was thinking, to spin plates successfully (or to work successfully) he already had everything laid out to go. Then as the spinning started, he was able to maintain that while adding in new items to spin and mess around with other things, just like a normal work day don't you think!! By the end of the day, I certainly have a lot of things spinning, but it DOES make things easier if they are ready to spin, instead of hunting round looking for things!!

So what did I do?? What do you do? Well I no longer work over the weekend. This gives me time around the home, with my family and to experiment with new ideas for myself. Monday's and Tuesdays are also sketchy work days, due to other activites, which makes Wednesday, Thursday and Friday my ACTUAL Business work days. Monday's and Tuesday's, if time and circumstances allow, I will do some Business Work, but I am also able to walk away, knowing that anything I've done on those days, is a "Work Bonus".At all other times I work my socks off around the house as regards, ironing, washing and cleaning (deep joy) which means when I am in my home Working with my Business and I walk through my house to get something, I'm not distracted by other House Work that needs doing, and take time out from my Business Work "just" to do this little job, which actually eats into about half an hour and then you waste MORE time trying to remember where you left off and trying to get your Work Mojo back!! 

It is still a work in progress, and gets messed up very easily, but isn't that WHY we work for ourselves, so we can be flexible, to be able to drop things and "Be There" for our family and friends that need us, so that we work to live.

Organised is such a dirty word really, no one really likes to admit to being Organised, and heaven FORBID that your SUPER ORGANISED!!! But it does help. Does this mean I'm getting old??? Nooooooooo!!! but I tell you something, I do achieve a lot more (have you seen my ironing pile recently? No me neither! My point exactly!!!) AND I get to meet people for coffee and have fun!! 


3 comments:

  1. I left a comment on here the other day from my iPad - must not post or I did something wrong - anyway what I said was something like this - I know where my ironing pile is and I know when to close my eyes, outta sight, outta sight!! Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being organised. You sound very busy but you also sound pretty pleased with yourself. Well done.
    valspierssews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally feel you there! I've taken to 'time blocking' in order to make sure I achieve everything I want to (sort of!) and split my time evenly... it's worked so far so I can highly recommend it! :)

    ReplyDelete