Tuesday 14 January 2014

Holiday Doodlings

We went away for a week in December. To somewhere we could cook in the heat of the sun while the children played in the pool. I'm sorry, that SHOULD read, where I can cook in the sun while the children played in the pool! SO what to bring?? a good book? puzzle books? NAAA!!! ME?? I pack my embroidery threads, fabrics, needles, scissors, fabric paints and a few bits and bobs for embellishing!! hee hee SUCH FUN ... Ultimate Luxury, to be beside a pool, stitching something that is your own design.


This year I wanted to get my daughter involved, because you know, life goes on and I don't!! So I thought well, at least I should be relaxed enough to sit down and spend time properly teaching her how to set stitches and most importantly, how to ENJOY it!

 When I mentioned this to her, the first night we were there, she was delighted and off she trotted with pens and paper to design something for us to sew. To be honest I had my own ideas, but when she came trotting back with her own picture all carefully cut out and ready to go, You HAVE to go with the flow. Plus it was cute ... REALLY cute!!

The first draft!

So this was it! and as she was telling me all the details of the picture, my mind was whirring as to what had I brought with me that we could use to bring this into a reality!! Fortunately I did have some pretty good stuff with me!!

We set too it, drawing, stitching (of which I did actually mange to get her to go a good bit of it!)
Bringing it to life!







And this is how we ended up with it looking! I had brought some gold metallic thread which we used for the nose .... the eye on the green flower we made out of fabric, while the other we painted on.

I had SO much fun doing this and I LOVE the design. I think I'm going to ask her to design more things for me! Well, not that I'll ASK her to design them for ME, I'll just ask can I recreate some of her drawings that I really like. When you ask her to do a picture for you, you just get a squiggle because at the moment, drawing on request is too much effort!! ha ha



I am going to make this into a book cover for her, something I'm sure she'll have for a long time, If I don't steal it from her first!! I've ordered more of the little crocheted Doilies in, as I want to sew up another ... As a Coffee Cozy!!!  Whooop Can't Wait!! 

Super cute design by my Daughter!

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm SOOOO not biased about this at all!!! ha ha ....

      Delete
  2. Awh lovely job little Miss TP ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've to give her a different needle the next time, she said it was "too pointy"!! :D

      Delete
  3. Brilliant Nadine! What a wonderful outcome and well done for actually getting this done on holiday! I always take a stash of arty materials on holiday but can never get in 'the zone' to do anything with them.....possibly because we are usually being blown about in a tent. Love your daughters design, Tell her we are all well impressed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes! the tent!!! I can imagine you don't get yourself "quite" together the same as the poolside!!! :D I will pass on the message! Thanks Aileen.

      Delete
  4. So so cute, where would we be without our kids. Lovely to work together too, glad ye had a Fab holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about you, but I'd probably be under a pile of supplies with all the extra money I had .... that and shoes! A shoe pile is always good!!! hee hee

      Delete
    2. Oh Yeah!! Lots n lots of goodies, just workin out how long it is until Ben goes to work!! Ha ha

      Delete